‘What is the Village’s “Green” Electric Aggregation Program and am I am part of it?’ It depends. All residential and small business customers, who have not selected another energy supplier on their own, are considered part of the Village’s Green Electric Energy program regardless of whether the energy service is supplied by ComEd or MC Squared. Under the current program, the energy price is the same. Since 2012, the Village has operated an opt-out electric aggregation program for residential and small business customers to negotiate lower pricing and more protective terms for residents. The ‘green’ energy designation is accomplished through the purchase of renewable energy credits which comes from power generated by newer wind facilities located in the Midwest.
‘Recently, some Palos Park residential electric customers received notice that their accounts had been switched to ComEd as their electrical energy supplier. Why would my electric energy supplier be switched?’ The current agreement with MC Squared agreement requires each electric account to receive a valuation several times per year to determine how much energy is being used in high usage periods; this is known as the Peak Load Contribution (“PLC”). In the ComEd service area there are five coincident peaks (“5CP”) that are measured between June 1 and September 30 of each year. The 5CP periods are averaged and used to calculate the PLC for each customer. The PLC is used to determine how much it will cost to serve an account with electricity in the coming year. During the valuation, some customers are moved to ComEd and others to MC Squared.
‘Why haven’t I noticed this change before?’ During calendar years 2020 and 2021, the COVID-19 pandemic saw many residential customers working from home, likely using more electricity during the 5CP’s. This shift in energy consumption has caused suppliers like MC Squared, to move customers back to the ComEd supply due to the cost to serve these accounts with electric energy. However, under the Village agreement with MC Squared, the energy price is the same.
‘Do I have a choice in our energy supplier?’ Yes, you may choose any electric energy supplier you wish.
‘Can I stay with Mc Squared if I was switched to ComEd?’ Yes, to switch back to Mc Squared call 888.537.8418 or e-mail PalosPark@mc2energyservices.com.
Did You Know:
- The Village of Palos Park Electric Aggregation program is available to all residents and small businesses in the community.
- The energy rate in the current Village electric aggregation program is tied to the ComEd rate, which was the lowest rate quoted in a bid conducted in June 2021.
- There is no penalty if you want to leave the Village electric aggregation program to move to another energy supplier.
- The Village electric aggregation program is considered a ‘green’ program under USEPA standards as Renewable Energy Credits are purchased from power generated by wind facilities located in the Midwest.
- Any resident or small business enrolled as part of the Village Electric Aggregation Program may choose to remain with MC Squared even if you received a letter from ComEd notifying you of a move in your energy supplier to ComEd. Requests can be made by calling 888.537.8418 M-F, 8am to 5pm or by email at PalosPark@mc2energyservice.com.