Welcome to the Building Department
The Building Department is responsible for administering the Village’s municipal and zoning codes to ensure the safety of our citizens, protect the public health, and ensure the orderly development of the community. In general, the Department provides services to residents, contractors, businesses and developers to improve and develop their properties in Palos Park.
In carrying out its responsibilities, the Building Department works directly with the Village Council and a number of Commissions, including: Plan Commission, Zoning Board of Appeals, and the Historic Preservation Commission.
The Building Department requires property owners to ensure that all construction adheres to an established standard through the municipal permit review process. The Building Department reviews permit documents to make sure that new buildings and modifications to existing buildings meet local, state and national standards for construction safety.
Please call the Building Department before beginning any interior or exterior property improvements. Depending on the type of work proposed and the scope of the project, building permits may be required. All permits must be posted and visible from the street. On-line are various downloadable forms for your use and a list of codes that we follow.
What we do:
- Adopt, administer and enforce Palos Park Code; state codes for plumbing and accessibility; and 2012 International Codes for building, energy conservation; mechanical, National Codes for electrical and fire prevention
- Review building plans, issue permits and perform inspections to ensure that construction conforms to applicable codes
- The Department maintains, updates and administers the Village’s planning documents such as the Comprehensive Plan, Strategic Plan, the Zoning Ordinance and the Zoning Map.
- Enforce and answer questions about the Village’s Zoning Ordinance
- Administer and review zoning, variation, subdivision and annexation proposals
- Register contractors to perform work in Palos Park
- Coordinate Tree Plan reviews, issue Tree Permits and Tree Bank Fees for development and perform inspection to ensure compliance with approved plans
- Review Grading and Drainage plans, issue permits and perform inspections to ensure compliance with approved plans
- Coordinate reviews, issues permits regarding development in flood hazard areas
- Code Enforcement: Investigate complaints and notify property owners that it does not meet Village building and zoning codes and ensure that corrections are made. These standards and regulations are enforced to maintain the appearance, safety and quality of life within the Village’s neighborhoods
- Provide support to the Village Council and Plan Commission, Zoning Board of Appeals and Historic Preservation Commission